Wednesday, August 08, 2007

SCBWI summer conference

Went to the SCBWI annual summer conference which I would recommend to both established and new writers. My week in LA was quite wonderful despite staying at the not very affordable for working writers Hyatt hotel. Actually, you could tell the writers from the aspiring as most of the writers would trek to the grocery store and return with shopping bags--not from Macies or Bloomingdales, but from the grocery store!

So inspiring to hear Linda Sue Park (Newbery Award-winner and author of A Single Shard not to mention lots of other books) discuss her process with her editor. Talks by newish writers like John Green (Looking for Alaska) who totally blew me away and Sara Pennypacker who accepted a humour award for writing the Clementine books which are wildly funny was a treat. Seeing Sid Fleshman and Susan Patron (author of the heavy banned The Higher Power of Lucky) was pretty cool too, although the autograph lines were just too long to wait in. So, I'm back at my friend's desk in Vancouver, pounding away on the keyboard (figuratively of course. Don't worry Dennis, I'm being gentle, honest) and looking forward to bedtime when I get to crack another new book, some of which I will review soon on my book reveiw blog soon.

No comments: