Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Ruby is a Reader


What a crazy busy week.

My new puppy Ruby has settled nicely, and although she is pint-sized, she's claimed my yard as her territory so be warned neighborhood cats! House training is going well with only a few accidents. I do have to watch my computer power cord though, because she finds it most attractive. I confess that I am a little on the tired side given that she hasn't yet figured out that night time is for sleeping and it's probably why I've come down with a cold. But, I'm thrilled to say that Ruby is a reader. Here she is checking out Gordon Korman's Born to Rock, an awesome book about a kid who discovers that his real dad is a rock star.

In non-Ruby news, I managed to get to the Cowichan School District's Young Author Conference all day yesterday and had the opportunity to work with some very fine student writers. This was the first year that grades 10-12 were included in the Conference, and they were so good that they blew me away with at least two of them writing publishable quality poetry. It's so good to connect with young writers of this calibre.

At the other end of the spectrum, I visited kindergarten and grade one classes in Oaklands Elementary School here in Victoria. I just love those kindies! I'm hoping to see a few pet stories come out of that visit!

I also want to congratulate all of the Orca Authors and Illustrators for an awesome book launch held at Bolen's Books. My dear friend Andrea Spalding has the sweetest new board book that you won't want to miss if you or someone you know has a new baby in their life.

No comments: