Thursday, April 16, 2009

A busy week ahead

Spring has finally arrived, and after taking a few days off to get my garden back into shape, I am back to work.

Tomorrow I head to Calgary for their wonderful Young Author's Conference where I'll be working with middle grade students. This is such a super conference, and it serves a huge number of students by bringing in dozens of writers. The organizers and kids are awesome, and I can't wait to get there although I'm really hoping the weather is good since I lack a winter coat. Last year I was not terribly lucky since Calgary was hit with a snow storm which left me stranded for more than 8 hours! I'm optimistic though since that can't possibly happen two years in a row. Or can it? Keep your fingers crossed for me and I'll keep you posted.

I'll be back to Victoria just in time for a visit to Oakland's Elementary School primary students, and hopefully, I'll have a package of pre-conference student writing waiting for me when I get home. I should have just enough time to read the work of grades 10, 11, and 12 students who are participating in the Cowichan Young Author's Conference. It's been a while since I've worked with older high school students and I'm excited about helping these promising young writers take their work to the next level. Talk about hitting all the age groups in a single week!

And to top the week off, I will be bringing my new puppy home from Saltspring Island. Somewhere in there I have to do some fencing. Yikes but life is busy. Better get back to work.

No comments: