Saturday, October 18, 2008

Goodbye to La Alberca

It's been a while since I've had a chance to post, but teaching English in La Alberca has pretty much been a full time endeavor. The expectation is that you are always on task; either speaking English one on one to a Spaniard, having two on two conversations (two English speakers + two Spaniards), working on skits together, doing group activities, sharing meals, and even dancing together for the nightly parties that go on and on and on. It's exhausting but so much fun. The Spaniards don't even start dinner until after 9pm and they still get up early! Fortunately, there is a "siesta" during the afternoon. I never managed to actually sleep, but instead used the down time to walk into the nearby village to explore, or get to know some of the other Anglos who had come from as far away as Australia!


I met so many wonderful people and made a few friendships that I think will last for some time to come. I'm pretty sure I'd like to do this again, and perhaps next time I'll have a bit more Spanish under my belt and will tack on a bit more Spanish travel either before or after the week of teaching.




Right now I'm feeling exceedingly lazy in Leon, and am not even sure if I'll make it out for dinner! I'll have a few hours in the morning to putter about here and hopefully catch the cathedral which I understand is fabulous. Later. Sheryl

No comments: